Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Guns

Today was arms day with a little ab action for dessert.  While doing the exercises I realized that I need bigger weights because I actually have quite a lot of strength in my arms.  I LOVE working out my arms because I used to have so much working on them in high school and university!  I love feeling strong and having big guns!  I know that it is unusual for women to try and bulk up, but I really like having strong looking arms, so I think I am going to bulk up my guns again and then if the kids misbehave I will have something to threaten them with! (just kidding)
We have been borrowing my mother's weights while she is in Australia, but I think that it is now time for us to fork over some cash and get some weights of our own.  That will mean that my next purchase will be weights. . . . . you know, just when I thought I had everything that I needed, it turns out that I still need more items!  Oh well. . . . at least it seems to be working!
I do have a question for you pros out there. . . . . have any of you ever done the nutrition plan along with p90x?  I have been trying out their meal plan and I am finding that they want me to eat WAY more food than I am used to eating.  I can't even eat it all.  I get too full too early.  I was wondering if maybe it was made for Americans whose portions are WAY bigger than our own.  What do you guys think?
Last year I went to a health and nutrition clinic which helped me lose 20 lbs and they showed me what my portions are supposed to be and so I am thinking that maybe I will go back to eating on that plan and working out with the p90x program and see what happens.  What have you guys found works for you?
I am curious to know!

5 comments:

  1. I went to their website and filled out a questionnaire (basically age, height and weight) and it suggested a calorie intake and portion control for me, then suggested a certain "meal plan" to follow. Is that the one you're doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know a lot about this program that you're on but I do know that if you are trying to tone up and build muscles as opposed to just losing weight you do need to eat more. I think what's more important it what you're eating, not how much. If you were just trying to lose weight obviously it'd be different. Isn't Carolyn a nutritionist or something? You should ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Americans think its a lot of food too. Are you using my friends mealplan at all. Hers was managable for me. cyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congratulations on your progress! I haven't used this program and know little about it, but I have heard of it and know that it's tough. Good job!

    Sports nutrition isn't my specialty, but if you're getting full and feeling fine then by all means don't eat it all. I'm sure you could experiment with a few meal plans and see which ones work the best for you. There's nothing magical about using one plan over another. You just want to make sure that you're eating balanced meals at regularly consistent intervals throughout the day and keeping your overall calories to a reasonable level for weight loss, which depends on height/weight etc. and will possibly change as your program progresses and you lose weight. You shouldn't be starving yourself, but you also shouldn't be forcing yourself to eat when you're truly not hungry. There's no one-size-fits-all meal plan that everyone will be comfortable with, so if it's a generic plan off a website you'll want to tailor it or try a different one that you feel more comfortable with. If you want to get really specific, you could always meet with a registered dietitian who is experienced with weight loss and sports/exercise nutrition. But be careful because there are a lot of kooky people out there working in this area. You'd want to look for a "Registered Dietitian" (I think they use the same title in Canada).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carolyn! I was going to do that anyways, but it was so nice to hear it from someone who knows!

    ReplyDelete